Re: xorg and 1280x800

On Tue, 2006-11-28 at 13:17 +0000, richard@the-place.net wrote:
> Quick question: Has anybody here succeeded to get 1280x800 resolution with
> a widescreen laptop?
> I have an Acer Aspire 1640Z which has, in common with a few others,
> this:
>
> 0000:00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile
> 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 04)

Is you laptop relatively new?  I bought a Compaq Presario v6030US a few
weeks after it hit store shelves and I had to wait 2-3 months before
before the driver for my graphics chipset (nvidia geforce go 6150) was
included in Xorg.  I was only getting 1024x768 and thought that maybe I
was doing something wrong.  Nope.  I just had to wait for support.
Actually, I wasn't even waiting on Xorg, I was waiting for Debian to
include the latest Xorg version in Sid.  I'm not good at compiling
things from outside of Debian. By the way, Nvidia still does not have a
driver for my hardware.