Re: Problem configuring WLAN on Dell Inspiron E1505

On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 19:23:18 -0700, Adhyas Avasthi wrote:
> Hi All
>
>   I am a new Debian User. Switched coz of recommendation for Debian.
>
>   I am unable to configure my new Dell Laptop Inspiron E1505 for wireless connectivity.
>   It contains a Dell 1390 wireless card. This is what I have tried:
>
>   Installed ndiswrapper
>   Downloaded windows driver for Dell 1390 wireless card
>   Run ndiswrapper -i bcmw15.inf
>   ndiswrapper -m
>   modprobe ndiswrapper
>
>   When I run iwconfig I still do not see any wlan interfaces :-(
>
>   I tried installing the latest sources of ndiswrapper and the kernel headers for my kernel image, but then after I try "modprobe ndiswrapper" I get the error "ndiswrapper.ko is not a valid format"
>
>   Is there a how-to on some steps which I can use to configure my wireless connection please? I would be highly grateful if someone can point the steps out.

The steps you describe above seem OK to me, therefore I would expect
that your kernel and/or your version of ndiswrapper is too old. If you
use the Stable (Sarge) branch of Debian then it might be worthwhile to
try a newer kernel from www.backports.org.

Regarding your problem building the ndiswrapper module yourself: I would
recommend installing the package "module-assistant" and using

module-assistant auto-install ndiswrapper

to build the module. This will take care of downloading the right source
code and kernel headers automatically.

--
Regards,
          Florian