Re: Problems Intalling Debian in Dell Inspiron 630m

David Mejia on Thursday 05 Oct 2006 21:43 wrote:

> I need help to Install Debian in a Dell Inspiron 630m. In Sarge 3.1 rev
> 02, the installer doesn't detect the Hard Disk. In Sarge 3.1 rev 03, the
> installer doesn't detect the CDROM, and in the Testing Etch, the
> installer doesn't detect the CDROM too in a 2.6 kernel, but it does in
> the 2.4 kernel installer (but doesn't detect my graphics).

I hope your Dell machine has the CDROM connected to the SATA port. If yes, yes,
there was a bug in the earlier cd images. I'm not sure if it got fixed in
beta-3.

The solution is to pass libata.atapi_enabled = 1 at boot time. If that doesn't
help, boot with debug mode:
BOOT_DEBUG=3

And then go to the shell and modify /etc/modprobe.conf and add:
options libata.atapi_enabled = 1
and then proceed with the installation.
Your CDROM should be detected then.

All this solution is present in one of the bug reports.

Ritesh
--
Ritesh Raj Sarraf
RESEARCHUT - http://www.researchut.com