openoffice and japanese input

I am running Debian unstable on a Dell Inspiron 1100 (before was on testing), and
currently use OpenOffice 2.0.4-rc3 and Sun StarOffice 8, with uim/anthy as my
Japanese input module. This input works perfectly for Firefox, terminal, and StarOffice,
but is completely ignored by OpenOffice. I have not once been able to get it working,
in all the iterations of Debian and OpenOffice, and despite reading dozens of pages on
how to use uim, and attempting to follow the instructions (for example, gtk settings in
shell environment variables). A second unsuccessful avenue I tried was to get iiim to
work, and never could get that right either, despite reading manuals - not even to the
point of being able to decide what server and client modules go together. If anyone on
this list has some useful pages that I could reference, or hints on a reliable approach,
I would be most appreciative. I am not averse to trying over and over again.

Regards, Gernot

--
Gernot Hassenpflug
Find out how something works, to know its functionality and limits