Re: Automatic shutdown?

Also sprach marlin9@gmx.ch (Thu, 3 Aug 2006 03:16:48 +0200):

> | apt-cache show sleepd
>
> sleepd didn't recognize harddisc activity when i used it some
> year ago, and went into suspend while e.g. compiling...

Should be no problem. I usualy call a script that checks for current
usage and that desides what to do.  e.g. switch of backlight if an
XServer is running, toggle cpu-throttling bit more if no xmms is playing
some oggs or ... STR the box.

> Most laptops allow idle timeouts to be configured through the BIOS.
> I think you know how to access it on your machine.
> I'm not completely clear about what happens if Linux takes over,
> but i think it should just override the BIOS settings.
>
> I don't know if your dell is rather old and has no ACPI ?
> Then you should have apmd (same package name) running.
> Maybe you can get things done after a look into /etc/apm,
> /etc/default/apm, and the apmd manpage. You need to find out how to
> trigger hibernate, though. (suspend/standby used to be done via 'apm
> -s' or 'apm -S'). If you have ACPI there's acpid with similar but far
> more advanced functionality, then you probably should search the list
> archives for  something like ACPI + shutdown, for example.

I like acpi for that. It gives all these possibilities to userspace.

> Shutting (or better, shooting) down a running system properly may be
> worth another thread ... if you just trigger 'shutdown' then unsaved
> document content (or whatever data) may get lost. Depends on the
> application. Dunno.  Hibernation would be on the safe side, anyway.

No Problem with (working) STR or STD or even (BIOS)hibernation.

> hth

sl ritch