Re: No audio support

Hi all,

I have the same hardware (an HP nx7010) and have alsa working fine with Etch
so I've been reading this thread and scratching my head trying to work out
what is different.

> > saturn:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
> >  0 [I82801DBICH4   ]: ICH4 - Intel 82801DB-ICH4
> >                       Intel 82801DB-ICH4 with AD1981B at 0xa0200000, irq
> > 10 1 [Modem          ]: ICH-MODEM - Intel 82801DB-ICH4 Modem
> >                       Intel 82801DB-ICH4 Modem at 0x4400, irq 10
>
> I think it is not good that your modem is listed as well. Did you

Once upon a time loading the snd_intel8x0m module could cause the sound card
to get confused, but now they work quite fine together. I use that module
(with slmodemd) for my modem and the sound + alsa (+ artsd) works fine.

> > If it does: did you unmute it in alsamuxer? (Sorry, but this is a very
> > common problem, ALSA mutes the Output after the first start...)
>
> Yes, I know. I did some research with Google before I started to post.
> But all chanels are unmuted.

Ahh.... this gives me a clue (sorry... I realise now that you said that
earlier but I didn't pick up on it)

Exactly what you need muted and unmuted depends on what kernel you are
running, although I think it has remained about the same since 2.6.11 so
hopefully this will work for you. (I'm running 2.6.17.4)

When I look at my channels with alsamixer, I have "Headphone Jack Sense"
and "Line Jack Sense" OFF (muted). Unmuting either of these results in no
sound coming out at all. You can also change these using kmix -- they are on
the "switches" panel and should both be off (i.e. the little light turned
off)

Let me know how you go.... if it works for you too then I will update my
debian nx7010 pages for the next poor schmuck. This page might also provide
you with some other useful info for your system:

	http://www.nanonanonano.net/linux/nx7010

cheers
Stuart