Re: Best practice to setup a guest account?

Andrew McMillan schrieb:
> On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 12:43 +0200, André Wendt wrote:
>> Hi,
>> lately, I came to realize that a guest account would be perfect for my
>> laptop since friends use it at my place. Since Ubuntu's "Guest login
>> specification" [1] is far from being implemented, I wondered what's the
>> least painful way to set up a guest account under GNOME -- apart from the
>> actual addition of a user?
>
> Hi André,
>
> The actual addition of a 'guest' user seems likely to be the best way,
really, but you might want to control what that guest account looked
like...

> You could use pam_mkhomedir (included in the standard libpam-modules
> package) to automatically create the account's directories on each login.
> This will not remove them when the user logs out, but you could do a cron
> job that removed them periodically or something like that.

Or, I could setup that module to use /tmp/$RANDOM as homedir which purges
the directory more or less automagically... I didn't find any information
how to use that module, could you please give me a link or something?

I also found something called autodir which might be just what I am
looking for. We'll see.

Anyway, I was rather looking for a way to setup that account after adding
the user. Is there anything else I should think about? (Apart from GNOME's
lockdown manager...)

Regards,
André