USB on 390e not working

Hi everyone.

I'm installing Debian Etch on my older 390e.  I've been unsuccessful
getting USB working.  Once upon a time it was working under Debian when
Sarge was known as Testing.  I am using kernel 2.6.15 and lspci shows it
as:

0000:00:02.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB
(rev 01)

(this is the only line lspci reports about USB)

mount shows that usbfs is mounted:

usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)

but the directory is empty.  On my T23 I see entries for directories of
001/ 002/ 003/ and the file devices.

The modules usbcore and uhci_hcd are loaded at system start.

When I insert my Lexar thumbdrive I see no hotplug messages from the
kernel. Incidentally, this thumbdrive works flawlessly on my T23 and
generic tower, so it is functional.

When I modprobe the uhci-hcd module I get the following output:

USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver v2.3
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:02.2[D] -> Link [LNKD] -> GSI 11 (level,
low) -> IRQ 11
ACPI: PCI Interrupt for device 0000:00:02.2 disabled
uhci_hcd 0000:00:02.2: init 0000:00:02.2 fail, -16
uhci_hcd: probe of 0000:00:02.2 failed with error -16

I have booted with the kernel options:

apm=off acpi=on

and

acpi=off apm=off

and with no mention of acpi or apm at all and the module error message
remains the same.  I even installed acpid with no change.

I'm stumped.  Is this chipset simply not supported in the kernel any
longer?  I would think not as I booted the laptop with an older copy of
KNOPPIX, version 3.9 with kernel 2.6.11, and it recognizes and allows
me to mount the thumbdrive.  I also tried KANOTIX Easter '06 RC4 with
kernel 2.6.16 and it does not recognize the thumbdrive.

Help, please?!

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of