Re: Wirelsss

I have a little problem, mybe you can resolve it:

when boot my linux box, my laptop use eth0 like a wireless interfece, but I want eth0 for lan and eth1 for wlan. How can do it ?

Thanks

On 5/22/06, Michael Perry <mperry@lnxpowered.org> wrote:
On Mon, 22 May 2006 05:30:14 +0200, David Johnson wrote:

> AhQ I see that kwifimanager is available and I can try that.  Gnone
> Network Manager is in the unstable distribution. I think that's what I
> want, but I guess I'll have to wait then.  Maybe kwifimanager will work
> in the mean time.
>

> On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 08:56 +0700, Mihira Fernando wrote:

You could also just use some command line tools and make the
/etc/network/interfaces file work for you as well.  I don't use any GUI
tools to manage wifi or wired networks at all.  For wifi connectivity, I
go from home which is WEP with keys to work which is WEP with different
keys and then to Starbucks which is WEP with no keys but web-based
authentication.  I have a few basic stanzas in my /etc/network/interfaces
file like this:

#home wifi connection
iface home inet dhcp
wireless-essid xxxxxxxxxxx
wireless-key tttttttttt

#tmobile wifi connection
iface tmobile inet dhcp
wireless-essid tmobile

I used to have a third one for work but I tend to not use wifi so much at
work these days due to work requirements.  So if I'm at home, I do:

sudo ifdown ra0
sudo ifup ra0=home

My wifi connection for home comes up.  If I go to tmobile, I do:

sudo ifdown ra0
sudo ifup ra0=tmobile

then off I go with tmobile.  Although I do have to authenticate and use
their web-based login thing.

If I'm on the road at hotel and they give me the essid and I'm gonna be
there a while, I may add it to the /etc/network/interfaces file or I just
may use the wireless-tools directly by doing:

iwconfig ra0 essid hotelessid key off
dhclient ra0

If I want a list of AP/hotspots, I use something like "iwlist scanning"
and it gives me a list of all the hotspots/APs I'm in range of.  Just so
you know that I use a Asus 11G card with the raylink drivers so its called
ra0.  I've done the same with windows only cards using linuxant and the
intel 2200 ABG card.

Works really well for me and I don't have to launch some GUI tool.

--
Michael Perry | Do or do not. There is no try --Master Yoda
mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org