Any good Wireless Tools?

I am now the proud user of Debian on my laptop and love it. However, I
find I am unable to connect to some Internet hot spots in Cafe's and the
like.  I used to be able to with Windows.  I cannot seem to figure these
places out.  From what I can tell there is no difference between these
and the one at work or home, other than the channel and essid (which are
easily configurable).  They dont' have any encrytion keys or anything.

In any case, for portable users switching wireless networks is common.
What do you all do?  Any tips advice?