Re: usb mass storage -> which fs

Charles Muller wrote:

> Win2000 and XP will allow either FAT32 (vfat for Linux) or NTFS,
> although if you happened to try to format the drive from one of these
> OS's it will try to force you to use NTFS for any sector larger than
> 32 GB. But you can you format the drive using a different tool, and
> these OSes will accept it afterwards.
>
> I did recently have a problem, though, with downloading large
> Bittorrent files to my FAT32-formatted 120 GB hard drive, which kept
> having write errors. But if I downloaded the files to a smaller sector
> on my internal drive and then just copied the files to the USB drive
> later on for storage, there was no problem.
>
> Chuck
>

> ---------------------------
> Charles Muller
>
> Toyo Gakuen University
> Faculty of Humanities
> 1660 Hiregasaki, Nagareyama-shi
> Chiba 270-0161 JAPAN
> Mobile Phone: 090-9310-1787
>
> Web Site: Resources for East Asian Language and Thought
> http://www.acmuller.net
>
> <acmuller[at]jj.em-net.ne.jp>

Thanks for the input. I created a LBA FAT 32 partition using cfdisk and
then formated it with mkfs.vfat. Everything seems to be working fine.

I will have access to a Microsoft laptop some time next week, I will
test the hdd's compatibility then.

On a side note, does anybody have any recommendations on how-to spin
down the hdd (as a user) prior to disconnecting it?

I realize the hdparm has this ability. .However, hdparm requires root
privileges, and it would also require manual input every mount/unmount.
Ideas?

Stefan