Re: laptop and Debian

marc <gmane@auxbuss.com> writes:

> Gerard Robin said...
>> Hello,
>> I intend to buy a laptop. I googled to find some information about laptops
>> which support linux Debian and the informations that I got concerned fairly
>> old laptops and no one works fine at 100%.
>>
>> Can someone give me some advices or give me a link to find some informations
>> about recents laptops.
>>
>> I would like that thee things work fine:
>>
>> Xwindow
>> modem
>> ethernet card
>> usb
>> wifi
>> power sleep
>> printer
>
> Another opinion. I use Debian elsewhere, but found installing it on a
> new laptop a bit fiddly and time consuming. As well as having to build a
> custom kernel, it also needed tweaks for wireless, bluetooth, modem,
> touchpad and the screen screen. I recently tried Ubuntu - to which I
> added kde-core and my favourite packages - and everything worked out of
> the box - even the Nvidia package worked. And it installed more quickly
> than the pre-configured version of XP that came with the machine :-)

I use debian on a toshiba portege 2100 which is almost exactly the
same as a toshiba r100 or r200 (very recent models).

I would recommend these laptops to anybody. They're really light, very
powerfull and they run debian out of the box.

But, in general, Ubuntu is still easier on many different hardware
platforms.

Nic Ferrier