Re: accented characters in console and openoffice

Jochen Schulz <jrschulz@well-adjusted.de> writes:

> Pedro Neves:
>>
>> After upgrading some packages in Unstable, I lost the ability to write
>> accented characters on both the console and Openoffice 2. All other apps
>> work fine (Jpilot, Kwrite, Lyx, etc.).
>
> I am experiencing the same problem with xfce4-terminal. Additionally, å
> lot of characters show up as a question mark with background and
> foreground color swapped, irrespective of the font I use.
>
> But I didn't investigate the issue yet. I only tried dpkkg-reconfiguring
> locales which didn't change the new behaviour.

I am also having the same problem, urxvt no longer renders any unicode
characters for me, I think after poking around a little it might have
something to do with a recent xorg upgrade. xlibs-data provides
/usr/lib/X11/locale/compose.dir which *might* mean something or it might
not but I really know nothing of how this file is actually used and
don't have enough to go on to file a proper bug.

I tried in my .zshrc to add:
export LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
export LANG=en_US.UTF-8

but this didn't work, even though my env variables are correct the
characters are not translated so I am stumped as how to proceed now and
hope someone else has a solution :)

If it is a bug, it certainly should be reported
--
-----Angelina Carlton-----
orchid on irc.freenode.net