Re: nx6125 wifi

Juanjavier Martínez wrote:
Florian Kulzer wrote:

There is a Debian package for BCM43xx drivers, but you have to install
the right one for your kernel. If the output of "uname -a" is something like

Linux your_hostname 2.6.15-1-k7 ...

then you need to run (as root)

apt-get install bcm43xx-modules-2.6.15-1-k7

and afterwards

modprobe bcm43xx

Ok, Florian, this is the ACER Aspire 3610 [0] man back to strike...;-)

Ndiswrapper with acer_acpi ended up working fine, I tested it at a
friend's place which catches wireless thru the neighbourhood...;-P

It would be good if you could post a short message that it works as
expected to the original thread [0]. That is helpful for others who have
a similar question and find our discussion using Google.

But I try to be `truly Debian' and hence tried to put it all down
and:

Ended up jumping from 2.6.8-2-686 w/ndiswrapper and acer_acpi to
linux-2.6.15-1-686 with bcm43xxx drivers from unstable branch (I ride a Celeron processor), and played then

'apt-get install bcm43xx-modules-2.6.15-1-686'

Installed flawless :-) Followed the steps you pointed in your last mail.

¡¡BUT!!

Well, suddenly wlan0 appears as eth1.

`iwconfig eth1' shows:

eth1      IEEE 802.11b/g  ESSID:off/any  Nickname:"Broadcom 4318"
Mode:Managed Access Point: Invalid Bit Rate=1 Mb/s RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
         Encryption key:off
         Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

As I told in earlier posts, I've got no wireless router at home.

`iwlist eth1 scan' shows:
eth1      Interface doesn't support scanning : No such device

--MMMMhhh...???? What does this mean?

What am I missing? What opinions on this do you have?

How did you "jump" to kernel version 2.6.15? Did you install the Sid
kernel image on a Sarge computer? That is likely to cause trouble, for
example because the 2.6.15 kernel requires a different version of udev
than the one provided in Stable. This could explain why your device gets
a different name and acts strange.

The "Access Point: Invalid" and the "No such device" messages might
indicate that there is a problem with the driver. Unfortunately it seems
that there are no backported bcm43xx modules available at
www.backports.org. I am not sure how easy it is to try to backport and
compile the module from source yourself.

If you do not want to use the ndiswrapper workaround, it would probably
be better to upgrade to Testing (Etch), which has the 2.6.15 kernel and
the bcm43xx modules. It seems that the new installer, Etch beta2, is
really nice, too (from what others have posted on debian-user).

Even with Testing or Unstable it might be that the bcm43xx driver cannot
do everything that the ndiswrapper route allows. Broadcom obviously does
not provide any technical information to the Linux hackers, so they have
to figure everything out themselves, which makes writing the driver much
more difficult.

Regards,
          Florian

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-laptop/2006/03/msg00090.html