Suspend2-patch vs Debian Sarge (official) kernel 2.6.16sarge1

I have a laptop with Debian Sarge with a kernel recompiled from debian package kernel-source-2.6.8 (versione 2.6.8-16sarge1, which is the one in the official debian stable repository).

The patch suspend2 doesn't apply for this kernel, while it is told in suspend2/README.Debian to work fine with kernel 2.6.8-15 (no more avaible!)

Questions are:
1) Which are the differences that makes this useful patch not work in current stable kernel source ?
2) Can I force the patch to apply to my kernel? How?
3) Is there any intent to allow this suspend2-patch to work with the official stable release of Debian (which most users have) ?

Thank you,

luca ferraro