Re: ALSA Problem

Guilherme Fortunato wrote:
Dear Fellows,
I'm a newbie in linux, specially in the debian distribution, and I'm having
a problem with the sound system in my Toshiba A70-S249 lap-top. The problem
is that every time I start my system I get this following message:

"starting ALSA  (not loaded)"

Then, when I get into the KDE invironment I get the following message:

"Sound Server Informational Message
Error while initializing  the sound driver:
device/dev/dsp can't be opened (No such file or directory)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device."

Does anyone could help me saying what is happening?

It seems like your sound card is not recognized properly at boot and
therefore the entry in the /dev directory is not created. KDE can only
access the audio device if this /dev/dsp is present.

It is probably easy to fix this, but we need to know which audio device
you have. If you are unsure about this, find the audio-related line in
the output of the command "lspci".

Another quick thing to check is if your user is a member of the "audio"
group. ("groups username" will list all groups of which "username" is a
member.)

Also tell us which version of Debian ("cat /etc/issue") and which kernel
("uname -a") you are using.

Regards,
           Florian