Re: No sound in xmms, on Dell Latitude D400, with Debian sarge r1.

On 2/23/06, John Miller <jmiller@thecsl.org> wrote:
>  Did you choose the 2.4 or 2.6 series kernel when installing Sarge?  With
> the 2.6 series kernel, ALSA comes along for the ride.

2.6

>  Since you're using Totem, I'm guessing that you're using GNOME as well,
> right?  If not, what desktop system are you using (KDE or basic window
> manager)?

I use KDE. I wanted to use xmms, but since it did not give out sound,
I tried Totem.

>  A couple of things to try (assuming you're using GNOME):
>  1) run alsaconf from a terminal as root.

alsaconf is not found. :-)

>  2) In GNOME's "Sound" preferences, are you starting the sound server or
> not?  Try both ways.
>  3) Make sure that your multimedia settings in GNOME's preferences menu and
> your XMMS settings line up with one another.

Got it! I had a headphone plugged in to the docking station - which is
why I never got the sound, but when I directly plugged it into the
notebook, I was able to hear the sound. Mea culpa!

BTW, anyone has any idea, as to why the headphone does not work when
plugged in to the docking station? The notebook speaker does not
output any sound, when this is done.

Thanks John.

Best,
Amarendra