re: better distro for laptops ??

hello -

i have just been installing Debian Sarge Stable
on an old apple powerbook 3400c.

it wasn't easy but it was fairly straightforward.

however i found the directions and help from the
debian web site very poorly organized etc.

how i did this was using a business card image
burned d/loaded from debian.org, then a network
ie custom install. i had tried MkLinux (RedHat5)
before and never got the network working so this
here my idea was to have it from the start.

i sent in my install report telling debian.org
about my issues installing. there were tricky
parts.

also after the install there is a lot of setup
more for package selecting and installing. i had
several crashes during this. it seems best to
just do a few package installs at a time.

twice i had to use deselect when aptitude crash
leaving packages confused. once i had to use
debian reconfigure and once replace package
info by hand from /var/backups. there was
once fsck by hand that created much lost+found
files but i think they were all just intermediate
from crash package installs.

anyway this system finally works after about a
month fooling around, more or less. it is really
nice to have an up to date OS on it for last
apple was 2001. this is my spare laptop but
i do like it much better to type - low stress.

thanks, debian

p.s. now thinking about reorganizing my
newer laptop to take linux - unsatisfied with
mac os X. not sure best way tho, probably
i will stick with debian. gentoo would work
tho as well as kubuntu or mandriva. (the
latter two i believe both Debian forks).

one of my concerns is installing outside
ie foreign or alien packages. anybody have
any luck there ?? i would like to have ability
to build more or less generic unix based
experimental stuff ...