Re: Configuring Network

On (11/02/06 16:04), Henrique Rennó wrote:
> I'm a new debian user (just one week ago) and I'm posting again about
> configuring the network.
>
> I know it's not a question concerning laptops but I've just installed
> debian Sarge 3.1 in my laptop Acer Aspire 3002LCI and I'm not able to
> connect to any other host.
>
> When I try pinging a host I get: Destination Host Unreachable. Like my
> network configuration were set wrong. I just passed the IP, network
> mask, default gateway and DNS during the installation process. If it's
> possible, I'd like to know what are the network configuration files
> (or I have to use ifconfig if it's better).

The main configuration file is /etc/network/interfaces

if you're using dhcp, it should look something like:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

..... or if using a static IP address:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address         192.168.1.10
netmask         255.255.255.0
network         192.168.1.0
broadcast       192.168.1.255
gateway         192.168.1.1

> Is there any service I have to start to enable the network card to
> work fine? I saw some services in /etc/rcS like networking and
> ifupdown but restarting them didn't work.

To start and stop services:

/etc/init.d/networking [start|stop|restart]

> When I boot the system with the network cable connected to the RJ-45
> port comes these messages:
>
> Configuring network interfaces...done.
> eth0: Media Link On 100mbps full-duplex

Looks OK.  Can you post the output of:

# ifconfig

> But without it:
>
> eth0: Media Link Off
>
> Also there's a service called MTA that takes too long (about one
> minute) to initialize and I would like to know what is it for.
Mail transport application - probably exim4; you may need to
reconfigure:

# dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config

Regards

Clive