re Hardware detection un-detects keyboard

I recently attempted to install the AMD64 port of Debian 3.1r0A on my
Compaq Presario R4000 laptop.  The first of what I assume to be many
issues I will have--I can't wait to perform my first kernel upgrade--is
that when the installer loads the keyboard ceases to function.  This is
interesting because I have a copy of Debian 3.0 that installs fine.  As
I can access the bootloader, I believe the hardware detection is
somehow shooting itself in the foot.  Is there any way I can solely
turn off keyboard detection, or should I suppress hardware detection as
well?  And, how do I do either?

Thanks,
Luke Murray