Problem configuring pcmcia at boot-up

Hello,

First I tell you want my aim is, then what I did to achieve it, and then I will describe the problem. I would appreciate help in understanding what's gone wrong, since I'm trying to network under debian/linux for the first time.

My aim is to use an old laptop (Toshiba Satellite Pro430CDS) as a gateway to the internet.

What I did is this:
- I've installed Debian Sarge with kernel version 2.4.27-2-386 on the old laptop. I've plugged in two 3com pcmcia cards.
- The /etc/network/interfaces file looks like this:

#Begin
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

mapping hotplug
	script echo
	map eth0
	map eth1

iface eth0 inet dhcp

iface eth1 inet static
	address 192.168.0.1
	netmask	255.255.255.0
	broadcast 192.168.0.255
	gateway 192.168.0.1
	network 192.168.0.0
#End

- The eth0 interface is connected to my cable modem

- The eth1 interface is connected to my switch

- I followed the advice on http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-gateway.en.html#s-trigger-pcmcia
by "by adding the line exit 0 to the beginning of /etc/pcmcia/network".

- For the masquerading and firewalling I'm using the file rc.firewall-iptables-stronger from the Masquerade Howto. At the moment I'm runnig it manually, untill I solve my problem, and then I will update-rc.d it, so that it's run at boot up.

THE PROBLEM:
-After rebooting, and before running the rc.firewall-iptables-stronger script, both the eth0 and the eth1 interfaces seem to be configured, judging from what I see when I enter "ifconfig". Also, I can ping the IP address assigned by the ISP via DHCP, the IP address of the eth1 interface, as well as IP addresses of machines connected to the switch. HOWEVER, I CANNOT CONNECT TO THE INTERNET! Why is this?

- "ifup eth0" says that interface eth0 is already configured.

- Enterning "ifdown eth0" and then "ifup eth0" result in BEING ABLE TO CONNECT TO THE INTERNET.

- What I observerd is that during boot-up there is no DHCPREQUEST, as there is if I do "ifdown eth0" followed by "ifup eth0".

Why is this, and how can I PROPERLY configure the interfaces at boot-up, so that I can connect to the internet?

Thanks for your help, Udo K.