Re: 2.5" hard drive opinions..

On Thursday 02 February 2006 19:47, Digby Tarvin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the information. Most of the 7200rpm drives I have looked
> at are about 50% more expensive than the 5400rpm drives, so I thought
> it might be overkill for an old 230Mhz notebook.
>
> How does does noise and power consumption compare with your old
> drive?
>
> Regards,
> DigbyT
>
> On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 07:29:11PM +0000, Hugo Brites wrote:
> > On Thursday 02 February 2006 18:56, Digby Tarvin wrote:
> > > I've decided to upgrade the HDD in my notebook for my Debian install,
> > > and it looks to me like 100GB is about the best value for money at
> > > the moment...
> > >
> > > There isn't much difference in price, and I havn't found much in the
> > > way of reviews online, so I thought I would ask to see if anyone on
> > > this list had any recomendations, experience, etc...
> > >
> > > It an older 233MHz Pentium MMX notebook, so I don't need (and can't
> > > use) SATA and the like.
> > >
> > > Seagate ST9100824A, Toshiba MK1031GAS and Fujitsu MHV2100AM are
> > > available locally, and as far as I can determine compatable.
> > >
> > > The Toshiba is about 20% cheaper, but 4200rpm rather than 5400rpm.
> > >
> > > Other than that, I can't see much to choose between them...
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > DigbyT
> > > --
> > > Digby R. S. Tarvin
> > > digbyt(at)digbyt.com http://www.digbyt.com
> >
> > Hi
> >
> >  I've just upgraded mine and my choice was an
> >   Hitachi 100GB (HTE721010G9AT00)
> >  It's a little expensive than the Seagate drive, but it's an 7.200 rpm
> > drive.
> >
> > Regards
> > Hugo
> >

> > --
Hi,

 I didn't see much in the computer consumption, but my laptop doesn't have a
good autonomy. It remains on it's hour and a half.
 I've compared power consumptions for the seagate, toshiba, samsung and
hitachi and the hitachi consumptions ain't much different from the other's
one. If I can recall i think the hitachi drive as less angry than the toshiba
one.
 My old drive was an 4200 rpm drive. An TOSHIBA MK4018GA.
 As in performance, it's just doesn't seem the same laptop, it got faster but
i think a little more memory would make it faster.
 As for noise, I do not listen the drive work :), it's really silent.

 Just as an example, the toshiba drive here in portugal, as about 20€ cheaper
than this one.

Regards
Hugo