Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 22:42:13 -0600
Subject: Re: [ltp] Fwd: Working 3D acceleration on IBM ThinkPad T23 ;-)

On the T23 it needed a complete reboot not only a X server reload till the
driver worked. Before that glxgears and glxinfo both gave a segmentation
fault.

Have a Happy New Year!!

Regards,
Martin

Subject: Working 3D acceleration on IBM ThinkPad T23 ;-)
Date: Samstag 31 Dezember 2005 18:08
From: Martin Steigerwald <Martin@lichtvoll.de>
To: savage40@probo.com

Hello,

finally I got it working. I had a try compiling the needed parts on my
 own but I had no luck with that and no time to dig deeper. Now I didn't
 need to compile a single bit.

I just used X.org 6.9.0.dfsg.1-1 from Debian unstable from today ;-) with
the savage drm module from this self compiled kernel (with also sports
software suspend 2 which is working nicely ;):

Linux version 2.6.14.5-tp23-sws2-2.2-rc15 (root@deepdance) (gcc-Version
4.0.3 20051201 (prerelease) (Debian 4.0.2-5)) #1 PREEMPT Fri Dec 30
11:53:37 CET 2005

Together with the latest binary DRI driver snapshot:
http://dri.freedesktop.org/snapshots/savage-20051220-linux.i386.tar.bz2

Using a mixture of Debian Etch/Sid.

I just copied savage-20051220-linux.i386/savage/savage_dri.so
to /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/ and restarted the X server.

You also have to make sure that the savage module is loaded, I put
"savage" into /etc/modules in case its not automatically loaded by udev's
hotplug functionality.

I got this:

martin@deepdance:~/Computer/deepdance/3D-Treiber -> glxgears
1182 frames in 5.0 seconds = 236.227 FPS
1159 frames in 5.0 seconds = 231.676 FPS
1175 frames in 5.0 seconds = 234.958 FPS

Compared to this:
martin@deepdance:~ -> glxgears
907 frames in 5.0 seconds = 181.400 FPS
690 frames in 5.0 seconds = 138.000 FPS
853 frames in 6.0 seconds = 142.167 FPS
711 frames in 5.0 seconds = 142.200 FPS

And tested with supertux, chromium, powermanga and they all worked well
and smooth compared to the jerkyness I had before.

I also tested with celestia. It also worked well, but showed some
rendering bugs in some cases. Sometimes it seemed the driver got the
rendering area wrong.

Well, thanks to everyone who made this possible! Could well be that
 Debian Etch will come with Savage 3D acceleration out of the box then, I
 guess.

Special thanks to Alex for hanging out on this mailing list and helping
people getting things set up.

I hope my little description above will help other TP23 users who are not
scared away from using Debian Etch/Sid to get 3D acceleration the easy
and lazy way. ;)

Have a happy new year!

Now I just need to find out the name of the large free software elite
alike space flight game again I could never play cause it was way to slow
on my hardware. ;)

Regards,
--