Re: Fwd: Working 3D acceleration on IBM ThinkPad T23 ;-)

* Martin Steigerwald <Martin@lichtvoll.de> [2006 Jan 01 15:25 -0600]:

> Hello,
>
> well maybe this is of interest here to:
>
> Its an easy description on how to setup 3D acceleration for any IBM
> ThinkPad T23 user using Etch/Sid who has not yet setup 3D. According to a
> posting of Nate Bargmann on the linux thinkpad mailing list this works
> also with a T42 when using the radeon snapshot instead. Nate also
> observed:
>
> " I notice that with udev and the stock Debian 2.6.14 kernel (Sid)
> starting Xorg 6.9 automatically loads the savage and drm modules on the
> T23 and the radeon and drm modules on the T42."

I might as well followup here too!

The xlibmesa-dri package in Sid provides the necessary radeon_dri.so
file and places it in the right place.  It supports several other
cards, but not the savage (yet), unfortunately.

3D with the new Xorg 6.9 and linux 2.6.14 is now entirely painless
(with a supported chipset see http://dri.freedesktop.org).  My nvidia
based desktop is not as well supported, so I'm thinking of a Radeon
card for it.

:-)

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.