Re: /dev/thinkpad keeps disappearing

On 01/30/2005 10:34 pm, Thomas Hood wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 22:40:12 +0100, Pollywog wrote:
> > The bigger problem is that /dev/thinkpad disappears after reboots.
>
> If you have udev then the file should reappear when you load the thinkpad
> module.
>
> You can set up a Linux system so that an application's attempt to open a
> device file results in a module being automatically loaded.  On a udev
> system, however, device files do not exist until modules are loaded, so
> auto-loading by the latter mechanism is not possible.  (devfs was better
> than udev in this respect: because it lived in the kernel it could detect
> attempts to open non-existent device files and could load modules and
> create the device files just-in-time.)
>
> If you do this:
>
> $ sudo mknod /dev/thinkpad c 10 170
>
> then running tpctl will cause the thinkpad module to be auto-loaded.
  This is what I had tried:

  #mkdir --mode=755 /dev/thinkpad
  #mknod --mode=664 /dev/thinkpad/thinkpad c 10 170
  #chown root:thinkpad /dev/thinkpad/thinkpad

This worked but the device would disappear after a reboot.

> Alternatively you can add 'thinkpad' to /etc/modules.

I had not tried this, I had added nvram to that file and solved that problem.
I will try adding thinkpad to that file also.

> You should install the latest version (5.8-3) of thinkpad-base in order
> to get the /etc/udev/permissions.d/thinkpad.permissions file.

I just noticed there is a newer one in Sarge, which I will install.  I have
5.8.1 installed.

Thank you for the help.

--

8)