/dev/thinkpad keeps disappearing

I have an old Thinkpad and I have installed the thinkpad-modules but I can't
get them to work.  First, I am not sure how to get /dev/nvram to have chmod
664 permissions after a reboot or if this is a good idea.  I am the only user
of the laptop, btw.

The bigger problem is that /dev/thinkpad disappears after reboots.  I am using
kernel 2.6.8 (from Debian testing) and I suspect this is a udev problem.  If
so, how do I configure udev?  I am unable to locate Debian-specific info for
this.

thanks

--
sp@mtr@p: croak@shadypond.com