Re: sound structure on a Dell inspiron 8600

You should not have to create anything in /dev, but I have often had to chmod
666 /dev/snd/* /dev/ami* /dev/adsp*   to let mere mortals control sound.

Were you running alsaconf as root?  if not try doing so and see if it "finds"
the devices.

Try to configure your applictions to talk to a sound server for your
environment (arts is the sound server for KDE, esd is for gnome) and
just work on getting the sound server working.   Having too many apps
talking to the sound drivers will confuse things.

Are you sure you have all the modules?
Here is the list of modules on a working ALSA (on a Dell Latitude D600,
centrino) Is that what it looks like?

# lsmod | grep snd
snd_intel8x0m          19652  1
snd_intel8x0           33056  1
snd_ac97_codec         77536  2 snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0
snd_pcm_oss            53028  0
snd_mixer_oss          21760  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                89348  4
snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer              25476  1 snd_pcm
snd                    51812  11
snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore              11616  1 snd
snd_page_alloc         11780  3 snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
#