sound structure on a Dell inspiron 8600

Hi All,

recently i was forced to do a debian re-installation from scratch, for my Dell laptop.

2.6.8-1-686 #1 Thu Nov 25 04:34:30 UTC 2004 i686 GNU/Linux

The sound wasn't working perfectly, so I installed (with wajig) all the alsa modules. and then *hurray* the sound for the cd player, dvd player (totem) and xmms (but only if i choose oss as my output plugin) worked perfectly!

however, when i restarted the laptop a few days later, nothing worked. /dev/dsp was non-existant, so i copied another dsp file there. but still i can't seem to get any sound. and dsp seems to dissapear every time i reboot.

user:/# MAKEDEV dsp
/sbin/MAKEDEV: don't know how to make device "dsp"

it seems weird. it seems like it is loading the right drivers etc, but still doesn't work. For example. if i run alsaconf, then the card is set up. the modules seem to be loaded and there's no errors. but then, if i try to run amixer for example, it says device not found.

anyone have any ideas?

cheers
wendy