Re: R40 in pieces

Am 2005-01-04 15:48:16, schrieb David Mandelberg:
> Michelle Konzack wrote:
> > I have lost the Password and a new SystemBoard for 460 Euro is too
> > expensive. So I like to sell the Laptop in pieces.
> Have you checked if the bios has a constant password? A lot of bios
> manufacturers make them with passwords that will work no matter what you set the
> password to. Search google for the bios type and "lost password" or something
> similar to find the password if there is one.

As I have written, I have Model 2723  :-(   If you lost your Password,
you need to change the SystemBoard, with one exception:

1)  Look for the serial FlashMemory (8-pins) on the backside of the
    SystemBoard and get the Datasheet.
2)  Use a SMD soldering-iron to connect a wire to the serial-data IO-pin
3)  Conect the other end of the wire and a second GND wire to the Rx pin
    of a MAX232 chip.
4)  The RS2323 output of the MAX232 need to connected to the Serial-Port
    of another computer.
5)  Write a programm which read the serial input and start it.
6)  Now start your laptop.

In the Laptop bootup, the BIOS will read the serial FlashMemory und
it will copy the 2048 Bytes of data via RS232 to the other computer.
Now use HEXEDIT to look into the 2048 Bytes received...

You will find the password there.

Curently I have not the time, equipment and nerve to do it.

Greetings
Michelle

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi