ATI 9600 and dual monitor issue - maximizing windows

I have my laptop and external monitor properly configured with ATI
driver(fglrx) and love my expanded desktop.

problem I have is that when I maximize a window it maximizes across
both laptop and external monitor as one big window.

My previous workstation  setup with Matrox card allowed two monitors
but maximizing a window would snap the window to the current monitor.

I can't figure out how to do this in ATI as running ATI's FireGL
configuration tool did not show such an option.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

regards