Re: my kde sound problem

Op di 04-01-2005, om 05:49 schreef Rony:
> Which one is more advance, ALSA or OSS (mm.. should be able to tell
> from the name:)? Remember i use ALSA for my prev installation. But now
> cannot. What must i do to use ALSA again? Which kernel module to use?
> What package must i install? I'm using kernel 2.6.8.

I don't use KDE myself, so I cannot help you much with that. But in
general, ALSA is the better choice. Try installing the alsa stuff:
alsa-base and alsa-utils and start from there.

KDE is probably blocking your soundcard at some moment, causing your
mp3-player to complain. This will probably still be the case after
installing ALSA: By default, only one application can output sound. You
can try installing some sound server (esd, arts, jack, I don't know what
else is available), or you can try to get the dmix plugin to work. The
last one is part of ALSA, and mixes streams together. Currently, not all
applications work without problems with it, though.

Koen