thinkpad 600E usbmouse udev prob

Maybe someone here has an idea how to approach this:

The thinkpad 600E doesn't allow any access to BIOS - it could only be
accessed under a windoze utility I believe.  It runs fine under debian,
but I recently (rashly, maybe) upgraded to a 2.6.14 kernel as part of a
major reorganising that did not preserve the previous kernel (or much
else either).  Now, the usb mouse is unusable -- jumps all over the
place.  The trackpoint works fine, but it is tiring for some apps.

I think this is either an IRQ problem or a udev problem.  I cannot do
any 'legacy irq' thing in BIOS because it isn't accessible.  I thought I
might be able to configure gpm to see two mice and perhaps adjust the
settings for the usb mouse separately, but it and the trackpoint both
appear as a single device.

If this is not an irq issue, how can I get the usb mouse to be seen
other than as /dev/input/mice?  If it is an irq problem, is there any
way to work round it given lack of access to BIOS?

TIA

--
richard