Re: NO CPU FAN (SOLVED...¿?)

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:26:17 -0600
Adriel Cardenas <adriel.cardenas@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi;

I just have installed Debian 3.1 on a HP nc6230 Laptop, I've selected the 2.6 kernel (option linux26) in order to make the softmodem included in this laptop to work under Debian, but the problem is that once that I rebooted the heat went really high, I can feel the keyboard ver hot, so I restarted the machine to see if the problem persist and notice that as soon as i select to boot Debian GNU/Linux the fan stops. I did reboot again and select Windows XP this time (dual boot machine) and the fan worked fine, so I did again reboot the machine and select Debian, and I can hear how the fan stops and starts to heat on.... does anyone has experience something like this before???? Here's my dmesg if someone could be so kind with your comments. I believe it has something to do with ACPI but I'm not sure, and I'm not that experienced user.

Best Regards and thanks in advance.

Adriel

Hi Adriel,

a collegue of me had the same problem and he solved it by switching to another kernel. I do not know what the problem was.

I see in your logs, ACPI tries to load but has some problems with IRQ???

When and without ACPI succesfully loading, in principle the fan work, without the module 'fan', the fan should blast full speed.

Regards,

Rob de Graaf
Thanks for your comments, actually it was not solved, because I couldn't find the real reason of this. What i did was edit the boot line from the grub editor with option acpi=off and it was enough for the fan to work correctly.

Best Regards

Adriel