Re: ethernet after boot problem

Yigal Weinstein <yigal.weinstein@gmail.com> writes:

G'day Yigal.

> Thank you both Koen and Rob for the help.  Rob it was iptables that
> was messing me up.  I don't know how to properly use a firewall like
> that.  After I removed it I have no problem using the internet after
> putting the cable in after boot.  Although I will have to find a way
> of protecting this computer.

I would suggest you investigate a relatively simple firewall toolkit
like 'firehol' or 'shorewall', both of which are available in
Debian/stable.

They can provide a secure system without your needing to understand the
lowest level details of the iptables system, which is a good way to be
safer while you learn there.

Regards,
        Daniel