Re: Compaq Presario 1255 sound and touchpad under Debian?

Hello,

high_desert wrote:

Can anybody help me get sound and the touchpad work under Debian on a Compaq
Presario 1255?
Maybe I can. I have the same laptop computer and everything works fine with Debian.

But I have installed it more than one year ago, when I was a newbie with Debian, so my installation is not perfect.

Firefox seems to handle flash better than Modzilla does - can I apt-get
remove "Modzilla Web Browser" and "Modzilla Composer" now?

Yes.

I installed all the alsa stuff I could find to no avail. Part of the problem
is I am not sure what the sound hardware is. The Compaq site,
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&lc=en&product=95000&lang=
en&cc=us&docname=c00255595, lists "JBL Pro Audio System" and "Aureal A3D
Interactive 360 degree Positional Sound."
Windows said it was an "ESS Audiodrive 1869".
I saved all the system informations given by Windows in a postscript file before deleting Windows and installing Linux. Unfortunately I'm looking for this file and I don't find it anymore.

It works with my 2.4.27 kernel with the "sb" module :
modprobe sb irq=5

For the touchpad, I just said to Xfree that it was a PS/2 mouse and it works well.

If it can be useful for you, here is my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 :
http://yokaunix.free.fr/info/X11/XF86Config-4-CP1255

I hope this helps.

--
Adrien