Re: Problem with my DELL (cdrom)

Gina Haeussge wrote:

> marottax@tiscali.it wrote:
>> In fstab file, cdrom is /dev/hdc, but when i put a cd into cdrom and
>> try to mount it (mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /media/cdrom) display
>> "mount: special
>> device /dev/hdc does not exist". Someone knows the way in order to
>> resolve the problem?
>
> Take a look here: http://www.natecarlson.com/linux/inspiron6000.php
>
> Looks like [1] the DELL Inspiron 6000 (like my ThinkPad T43) got a PIIX
> SATA bridge via which the ATAPI cdrom is connected. I guess the same
> solution therefore could be applied to get everything to work, so take a
> look at [2].

As Gina says, it's NOT on /dev/hdc.  Whatever made you think it is?

Mine is /dev/scd0, and I can't imagine any reason yours would be different.
If you must mount via /etc/fstab, then:

/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 iso9660 ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0

But it's so much easier to use hal / pmount / udev (don't know if that's
available in Sarge - I'm using Ubuntu) to handle it all pretty much
transparently.
--
derek