Re: Problem with my DELL (cdrom)

> Dear all,
> I have a debian sarge (2.6.12-1-686) on my DELL Inspiron 6000, but i have
> a little problem with the cdrom.
> In fstab file, cdrom is /dev/hdc, but when i put a cd into cdrom and try
> to mount it (mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /media/cdrom) display "mount: special
>
> device /dev/hdc does not exist".
> Someone knows the way in order to resolve the problem?

Special files are created at bootup, I have found (maybe someone on the list
can fill in important details on this point?), and quite often this problem
affects USB device files - the solution usually is to reboot with a USB device
attached to one of the USB ports. I am surprised to hear you have this problem
with an IDE device. Try to reboot and see if the device file is created....

If not created, then create it yourself, with mknod. Below is my output of ls -l
for /dev/hdc, which is a DVD-writer on my desktop:

brw-rw----  1 root cdrom 22, 0 2005-11-30 23:02 /dev/hdc

So, using the following for mknod would I think do the trick for you (as root):

mknod /dev/hdc b 22 0

Good luck,
  Gernot Hassenpflug