'hotplug' gone... how to set up interfaces now ?

Hello,

i've got a question about removable network interfaces.
I'm not on the list, please cc me in replies.

After upgrading my laptop to debian testing, the package 'hotplug' was
removed (it was merged into udev somehow). But now the pcmcia eth0
interface didn't launch anymore. The card works ok, but when cardmanager
 loaded the modules nothing more happens.
I have to set up the interface manually via 'ifconfig' or 'ifup'.

It works to insert a simple configuration into /etc/pcmcia/network.opts.
However, i just can't believe this would be the solution.
I mean, it worked before without that. It was possible to flag
interfaces (besides 'auto') as 'hotplug', for example.

-> Is this still possible ?

IIRC (after so many testing) i had no flag at all, but anyway it
always worked.

Then there is a multiple mapping layout in /etc/network/interfaces now,
which includes a gateway detection, which i really would like to
preserve in one place, and have this location working for other kinds of
removable NICs too.

At this point, it appeared to me that the ifconfig subsystem is
completely independent from ifup, which means that interfaces launched
by ifconfig will not pass the 'interface' file setup, and also will not
be recognized properly by any later ifup action, because ifconfig
doesn't update the /etc/network/.run/ifstate file.

Unfortunately, pcmcia does 'ifconfig' and not 'ifup'.
That's really a pity....but hacking the pcmcia scripts is no good idea.

-> How could i 'orderly' configure pcmcia to call the ifup system ?

Or am i forced to install another package, like whereami ?
But anything i need is there, and working, i only would need this little
link between pcmcia and ifup...

=> Any idea ??

Micha.

some relevant data...

kernel 2.6.12.3 custom
pcmcia-cs 3.2.8-2
udev 0.070-3
hotplug automatically deinstalled

The pcmcia docs say,

  * A new configuration variable, REFRAIN_FROM_IFUP, has been added to
    /etc/default/pcmcia. If set to "yes", cardmgr will not configure
    network interfaces, which should be handled by hotplug instead. Its
    value defaults to "yes" on new installations, but "no" if you have
    upgraded from previous version. If you have upgraded, please read
    README.Debian and then set this variable to "yes".

The udev docs say,

   hotplug and coldplug support has been merged in the udev package,
   which will load all the drivers needed as the beginning of the
    boot process and handle hotplug events later.
    The hotplug package has been disabled and should be manually purged.

ps. I made a check with 'etherconf' to see if it would modify any pcmcia
or udev configuration but it did set up a standard static interface and
did not change anything outside /etc/network, besides resolv.conf.
Which means, it wouldn't even work at all - i guess this is a hint that
something might be wrong with my system setup ?
Or the package is outdated.

   °
 /\/