CDROM issue on Dell CPxH500

Installing Debian 3.1 r0a from a 'verified good' cdrom (jigdo verified ok, and installs fine on desktop). Installation keeps failing on my laptop right when the system goes to load installer files (in expert mode, just after cdrom detection). It complains that there is an error reading from the cdrom. If I run the checker utility, it doesn't even read the cd but instantly indicates it is bad.

Looking at dmesg from the built in shell (ash) I see this:

hdc: TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-1902B ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
.
.
.
hdc: attached ide-cdrom driver
hdc: ATAPI 24X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache, DMA
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
.
.
.
hdc: DMA interrupt recovery
hdc: lost interrupt
hdc: drive not ready for command
hdc: status timeout: status=0Xd0 { BUSY }
hdc: DMA disabled
hdc: drive not ready for command
hdc: ATAPI reset complete

That's it. Although I can use the built in shell to access the cdrom at this point without trouble, the installer will not resume. Ideas? Thanks.

Jim.

(sorry for the spam aragorn, just wanted to show I had moved the thread!)