Freezing, SMP Kernel and P4

I have a Pentium Four processor with 3.06GHz speed. As far as I can tell, this means that I am eligible to use a 686-smp kernel. Though in comparison to the non smp kernel it seems to be much faster, an odd thing is also happening which I can only attribute to the smp (since I have not really seen it on the non smp kernel). My computer is doing some big-time freezing. It seems to be random, happening a few hours after I turn on my laptop; or only a few minutes. I have to manually do a hard reboot, which means it needs to run fsck which means data can be lost or corrupted (aside from it possibly damaging the whole computer and generally being a very big pain in the arse).

I'd like to know your opinions. Is this freezing due to the smp? If so, why? How can I fix it?

I thank you kindly in advance.

--
—A watched bread-crumb never boils.
—My hover-craft is full of eels.