Re: ifplugd (or guessnet) stalls booting at "Configuring network interfaces ..."

John O'Hagan wrote:

>>auto eth0
>

> Most likely, the "auto eth0" entry is making the system try to bring up the
> interface too early...in one case I removed that line, and boot returned to
> normal; it will still come up automatically later if you have ifplugd and/or
> some kind of network detection program like whereami, laptop-net, guessnet,
> etc.

I commented out the "auto etho0" and rebooted. The boot process stalled
at "starting MTA ... exim" (or some such thing) step. So, it didn't work
for me.

Still, since during the upgrade, udev was upgraded and hotplug was
removed (udev now provides hotplug I guess), something seems to have
gone amiss here. I am not sure what to try next.

> (Don't remove the "auto lo", however, as that interferes with desktop
> processes and probably other important things, as I discovered after a lot of
> head-scratching!)
>
> Another reason for this problem can be that the names of the physical
> interfaces can get swapped around, especially after a substantial upgrade - I
> recommend the program ifrename, which allows you to decide what each
> interface will consistently be called.

The name for the NIC is still eth0, since it comes up as eth0 in dhcp
based or static based interfaces file.

thanks,
->HS