Wireless on HP NX6125 (running 64 bit Debian amd64)

Hi,

I posted this to the debian amd64 list but haven't had a response yet. So I'm
trying here.

I recently bought an HP nx6125 laptop (Turion 64 based) and have successfully
installed Debian-amd64 on it (stock kernel 2.6.12). I have been monitoring
this list for the past month or so, before I bought the laptop, and after
further extensive googling I still cannot find the solution.

I first installed Debian 32 bit on this machine and was able to get wireless
working flawlessly using ndiswrapper and the WinXP Broadcom drivers supplied
with the machine. Due to the double clock speed problem and enthusiasm for
the amd64 port, I decided to try out the 64 bit version of Debian.
Installation was a breeze, and I am now trying to get wireless working under
amd64 (using ndiswrapper and the 64 bit drivers).

I have tried the generic Broadcom drivers from linuxant and although
they install with ndiswrapper -i, doing an ndiswrapper -l gives:
netbc564                driver present
but no hardware present. iwconfig does not show any wlan0 device :-(

So, I tried the acer drivers for the Broadcom 4318 chipset. Now ndiswrapper -l
gives:
Installed ndis drivers:
bcmwl5  invalid driver!

Has anyone managed to get wireless working on this laptop? If so, any pointers
or links to working WinXP 64 drivers for this machine would be a great help.
The relevant lines of lspi -v are as follows (second entry is wireless
adapter):
0000:02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5788
Gigabit Ethernet (rev 03)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 308b
        Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 23
        Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
        Capabilities: <available only to root>

0000:02:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One
54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 1356
        Memory at d0010000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]

Richard