Re: ipw2200 installation

Michael Kelm said...
> On Tuesday 11 October 2005 00:30, marc wrote:
>
> > the install doc says:
> >
> >"You will also need to have sysfs mounted. You can do this by adding an
> > entry to /etc/fstab similar to this:

> > none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0"

> > Is this a definite requirement? And if so, why can't it just use /sys?

> I guess, adding this line to /etc/fstab will solve your problems.
> You will either have to reboot or as root execute "mount /sys" after you've
> added the line. Give it a try!

Ah, but I didn't say that I had a problem :-) Yet! This is today's job.

What I would like to know is whether this is a genuine requirement for
IPW2200 and why. In other words, I want to understand why this is
necessary.

Since /sys is synonymous with /sysfs, and since /sysfs isn't created by
default during a sarge install and by a further upgrade to etch, then
this mount seems to be a random an unnecessary event. If it isn't, then
I'd like to understand why. Reading man sysfs, it says that with the
proc FS mounted on /proc, then the same information can be derived from
/proc/filesystems.

A quick cat on that shows not only sysfs, but also usbfs and tmpfs,
which I've also heard quoted as being necessary. /sysfs (not sysfs)
appears to be deprecated, but, as I said, I'd like to be clear what is
occurring here.

I can see that there is a package, sysfsutils, that provides tools to
query this VFS.

--
Best,
Marc