Re: double OS?

Hello,

1- Does your computer start directly on Windows XP, without multiboot menu at
startup of the computer, or does it start by a multiboot menu such LILO or GRUB
? if not, you should reuse the ubuntu installation disk to rerun not all the
installation but only the installation of the multiboot "system" such LILO or
GRUB...
1- Is your fat32 partition for Microsoft Windows XP  in the first partition of
your hard disk (named hda1 under linux, hd0,0 in GRUB, C: in Windows) ? because
Microsoft Windows usually require to be in the first partition of the disk... In
this case, you have two possibilities: a) re-install all the installation of
your OSes: FIRST!: install Windows XP in the first partition, and Ubuntu in the
second, your swap in the third, while Ubuntu install itself, it will
automatically install the multiboot LILO or GRUB... b) install GRUB and set the
parameters to make believe to Windows XP that it is intalled in the first
partition (see the GRUB documentation and tutorials for this)... In french, see
also lealinux, the tutorial for GRUB, or the tutorial for linux debian -Ubuntu
comes from it-  by alexis delattre on the web (please find the address in
google with his name).

and a personal advice: If you want to leave Windows XP for linux, it is better
that you do not use Windows for several months, or uninstall it... But keep
Windows on your laptop if you have something to show on a big screen in an
university with a "retroprojecteur": it will certainly work with Windows, I do
not know with linux... Yes, linux is free as freedom, debian is free as free,
but there is not linux drivers and firmwares for all the hardware, and when you
cannot do a thing with linux, it can take several days to understand how to
do... and if you better know the windows softwares as I do, it will help you
sometimes...!!!

@+
rafmav

--