Re: Toshiba Sat. Laptop c2002 CE

Frederick Royce Perez . wrote:
> I may be stupid or dull or a lethally blended combination there abouts.
> So without requesting unwarranted patience would some one indicate their
> personal opinion as to the surest manner in which a dullard such as myself
> might proceed and assume some risk of success?

Do not put in on yourself -- setting up notebook with Linux is hard
(partially due to early stages of development of some of its components,
and partially because hardware manufactures are putting especially in
notebooks every piece of crap and then refuse to inform their customers how
to deal with it). However, all that hard work is very much rewarded with
perfect companion to your work, study, whatever. Do not give up!

> I apologise in advance for being a pain and wonder if there are people in
> the Boston Massachusetts area who I might engage ? Expressing a gracious
> appreciation in advance feels an apropos balance to the missing intuitive
> branch of my penthouse.

Again, there is nothing wrong with you. Every participant on this (and other
Linux-related) list/NG should go from time to time to archives to find her
own early questions when she was setting her first Linux computer -- it's
humbling experience. However, there are some points which could help:

1) Be ready to learn and spend effort on learning. Most people are willing
to help somebody who shows that he made his homework and tried as much as
he was able to resolve problem himself (and that includes going through
Google, Google Groups, archives of particular email lists). That is the
bottom line IMHO of <http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>
(BTW, go NOW and read this page; and
<http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/index.php?page=netiquette> as well, when
you are in it).
2) There is no fundamental difference between different Linux distributions.
Do not believe anybody who claims otherwise. I prefer and like Debian, but
there is nothing fundamentally wrong with any other big Linux distributions
(be it RedHat Fedora, Mandriva, or SuSE). If you want to stick with SuSE go
ahead, but then ask questions on SuSE-related lists/NGs. I am sure somebody
will be willing to help.
3) Ask one question at time and deal with one problem at time. No one is
happy to deal with five pages long messy (and slightly smelly :-) list of
all the troubles with the word (see
<http://www.troubleshooters.com/tuni.htm#Sequence> for more tips on fixing
problems; the rest of the website is interesting as well). Moreover, such
mess is not resolvable. Take one issue and let us walk with you through
that. Repeat with another problem.
4) I am currently living in the Boston area (specifically in Somerville and
study at Northeastern) and looking for a job. If you would like to spend
that $70 on me, I would gladly took one afternoon and do what I am able to
do (and no I am not a CS professional, so I cannot promise anything).

Looking forward to hear from you again,

Matej

I went to a Grateful Dead Concert and they played for SEVEN
hours.  Great song.
    -- Fred Reuss