Re: HP Compaq nx6125 Debian on Turion 64bit ?

Hey there Marco,

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually managed to install AMD64 with the boot option "vga=771" and that solved the problem! Still don't know what that means. However during bootup I get the following message "the DMA on your hard drive ist turned off, this may really slow down the fsck process". and periodically this message pops up "apic error on cpu0: 40(40)".

I installed xorg, the x-window system starts fine, but the pc would crash after a few minutes.

I'll try to reinstall the whole thing with the apic option turned off and see if it works!

Han

On 9/20/05, Marco Calviani <mirtux@studenti.fisica.unifi.it> wrote:
plungeknob scareaunts wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>I got a new Compaq nx6125 with a Turion ML-34 processor, and am eager
>to try out the Debian AMD64 port. However using the installer I only
>got as far as to the boot menu...the laptop just locked up. I tried
>Ubuntu Breeze Preview (can't remember exactly what it's called now)
>and it was the same.
>
>Has anyone any experience with Debian AMD64? Am I doing something
>wrong or stupid (again?) :(
>
>Thanks and have a nice day.
>
>Han

Hi Han,
  try to install with an option like this:

expert26 nolapic

(the main point in _nolapic_) . This disable the starting of the local
APIC but i does not prevent the correct use of the ACPI subsystem.

Hope this helps,
MC