Re: Quick Newbie Question: Archictecture Type for Centrino?

On Fri September 23 2005 06:44 pm, James Brown wrote:

> My exact processor type is "Intel Pentium M Processor (Banias & Dothan)"
> on a Samsung M40. I'm guessing either i386 or i686, but am unsure of
> which are supported and the advantages of each.

The i386 name is kind of misleading, it is more of an ia32 disto now, I don't
think it (Sarge i386) will run on a real 386 anymore. I think that is what
you want, once installed you can use the kernel best suited to your hardware,
probably kernel-image-2.6.8-i686 (likely will be installed by default).