Re: Problem with Toshiba Protege 3010CT

Lee Turner wrote:

Well, got it working finally, no major issues, but the method that worked for me - was to do a net install (borrowed a friends pcmcia net card) I don't seem to have sound as yet,but I'm not overly fussed for that.

That's great!

Writing this e-mail from within x running icewm (think, I'll just keep icewm, was going to experiment with a few lightweight window managers, but this seems to suit my needs). The install did bail out a couple of times before it settled down, but after that it was semi-smooth sailing, a few packages seemed to break, and I ended up removing and re-installing most/all of the x stuff required but it wasn't a huge problem.

Yeah, I guess I really did use the floppy-based installation to get to a network install -- loading ALL of that via floppy would be PAINFUL. (GRIN)

I can see where a nice lightweight window manager is a must. I always used WindowMaker on mine. I put GNOME on it once, wow was that slow.

I have no idea if the cd drive works or not, but I have no intention of using it anyway so personally I'm not bothered about it.

Heh.

Not a bad install after I worked out a few of the oddities about this system, and I'm left with a very usable little laptop - hopefully I'll get the wireless working this evening,but that's a whole different story ;)

What were some of the oddities? Other folks may Google someday for info and find it via the list archives! I know one I ran into regularly, the BIOS needs to be set to PCIC Mode and not Auto for most PCMCIA cards. Auto and Cardbus both always seemed to break things. I also like the "stretch" mode for the text console, if not using framebuffer consoles.

fyi: currently running sarge/stable - tried to install testing but it seemed to be a no-go - again it could have been a random error... but I'm happy with stable for the time being, and can't see there being any problems upgrading

Yeah, understand.

Cheers for all your advice!

Thanks for reminding me I had that useful little machine sitting around doing nothing...

I just ran into a guy on eBay that had a bunch of the keyboards for US $29, and while that's a bit steep, at least I can replace the keyboard and the machine is still just as solid and small and light as ever...

It's nice to literally be able to throw it in a bag that's just got a few papers in it and never really notice the additional weight at all, but have a laptop machine with me if I need it. Maybe not the fastest laptop in the world, but great for the portability of the unit.

Again, it might just "need" to become a vehicle-based machine in the Jeep. That might be a fun little project. Make up a mounting bracket... figure out what I could do with GPS, music playback, etc...

Nate