Re: Problem with Toshiba Protege 3010CT

Well, got it working finally, no major issues, but the method that worked for me - was to do a net install (borrowed a friends pcmcia net card) I don't seem to have sound as yet,but I'm not overly fussed for that.

Writing this e-mail from within x running icewm (think, I'll just keep icewm, was going to experiment with a few lightweight window managers, but this seems to suit my needs). The install did bail out a couple of times before it settled down, but after that it was semi-smooth sailing, a few packages seemed to break, and I ended up removing and re-installing most/all of the x stuff required but it wasn't a huge problem.

I have no idea if the cd drive works or not, but I have no intention of using it anyway so personally I'm not bothered about it.

Not a bad install after I worked out a few of the oddities about this system, and I'm left with a very usable little laptop - hopefully I'll get the wireless working this evening,but that's a whole different story ;)

fyi: currently running sarge/stable - tried to install testing but it seemed to be a no-go - again it could have been a random error... but I'm happy with stable for the time being, and can't see there being any problems upgrading

Cheers for all your advice!
Lee

On 9/18/05, Nate Duehr <nate@natetech.com> wrote:
Lee Turner wrote:
> Hi all
> I'm having difficulties installing Debian on my Toshiba.. it won't boot
> from CD (no surprise it's an old beast) but when I boot from floppy, it
> initially wouldn't detect the external cd rom drive (connected via a
> pcmcia card) after tweaking a bios setting it seems now to detect the cd
> cdrive but on doing so it ejects the cd and the drive refuses to close!
>
> This results in the error message 'Unable to mount CD Drive, perhaps the
> CD is not inserted"
>
> I have also tried using DSL to get some form of base install of Linux
> then working from there, but with similar errors - even using a
> Floppy/USB Stick combo to no avail.
>
> A friend of mine is going to give me a loan of an ethernet card on
> Monday that may allow me to do a net install (only card I have is a
> wireless one that I think requires ndiswrappers) but I fear that may
> still fail and I'll be back to the original problem.
>
> I'm at the end of my teather with this, does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Cheers
> Lee

Hi Lee,

I've never had any luck installing Debian from anything other than
floppies on my Portege 3015 either... the 3015 is the same as the 3010,
it just had more software installed by default back when it was new.

None of the Debian installers have ever been happy with any of the
USB-based CD-ROM drives I tried for that machine that has no built-in
CD-ROM.  But I shouldn't say that today: I haven't tried Sarge's installer.

I was able to install RH9 a long time ago on it using just a single
floppy and their CD using a USB CD-ROM drive, so I know there's no
reason it can't be done.  Fedora broke all that.  At one point the
RedHat to Debian instructions pre-Sarge would have worked nicely, load
RH and then flip the machine over to Debian, if the switch could all be
done in the confines of the 6GB hard disk.

The person that suggested Knoppix forgot that you can't boot from CD.

I've also managed to bust a couple of keys off of the keyboard and
replacement keyboards are worth more than the whole machine is worth
nowadays, unfortunately, on the Toshiba parts market.

It's still a great little machine.  It was an "ultra-portable" laptop
long before such things even truly existed.  And the screen quality
while not super-high res was EXCELLENT.

I've been thinking about turning it into a car computer of some sort --
play the music collection, etc.  If it got stolen it's not worth much.

Let us know if you get it going -- I may try out Sarge's installer on it
again and see if it's happy with it.

Nate