Re: Moving from XFree to xorg with Debian sid

On Thursday 22 September 2005 05:41 am, Bob Alexander wrote:
> I have a Thinkpad T40 (ATI Rad M9 1400x1050 panel) Debian system
> tracking sid.
>
> AFAIK I should be running Debian's version of XFree rel 4.3.0.
>
> dpkg -l |grep xfree
>
>   xfree86-common                    6.8.2.dfsg.1-7             X Window
> System  infrastructure transitional package
> ii  xserver-xfree86                   4.3.0.dfsg.1-14            the
> XFree86 X s erver
>
> I would like to completely substitute the current X system to the latest
> Xorg versions.
>
> What would be the reccomended way of doing so ?
>
> Thank you very much.
> Bob
>
> PS: I am still stuck in the orrible situation of having a beautiful
> desktop but of not being able to show it off on an external projector :( :(
>
> Talking on "Open Source and IT Security" in a few days and in this
> moment will be forced to use Winblows to drive the projector :( :( :(
> What a shame !

Bob,

I have the following in /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/preferences:

jas@puppy:~$ more /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://ftp.debian.org/ experimental main non-free contrib
#deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/ experimental main non-free contrib
deb http://ftp.debian.org/ unstable main non-free contrib
#deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/ unstable main non-free contrib
deb http://ftp.debian.org/ testing main non-free contrib
#deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/ testing main non-free contrib
deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main

deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ sid main
#deb ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/linux/devel/lang/java/blackdown.org/debian sid
main non-free

# NDISWRAPPERS
#deb http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/debian ./
#deb http://rigtorp.se/debian/ unstable/

#deb     http://www.stanchina.net/~flavio/debian/ ./
#deb-src http://www.stanchina.net/~flavio/debian/ ./
#deb     http://www.stanchina.net/~flavio/debian-fglrx-xfree86/ ./
deb     http://www.stanchina.net/~flavio/debian-fglrx-xorg/ ./
#deb http://www.kalyxo.org/debian/ unstable main
#deb http://cp.yi.org/apt/hibernate ./

jas@puppy:~$ more /etc/apt/preferences
Package: *
Pin: release testing
Pin-Priority: 900

Package: *
Pin: release unstable
Pin-Priority: 600

Package: xsupplicant
Pin: version 1.0-1
Pin-Priority: 400

I recently did a netinstall of sarge on my laptop due to a failed hard drive.
I first installed sarge's kde and xfree86. I then edited my apt/sources.list
and apt/preferences to put in the above and did an apt-get update.  I saw
that testing still had 3.3.2 for kde but had upgraded to xorg.  I then used
aptitude from the command line and selectively looked at what would be
upgraded when I did an aptitude upgrade.  I then manually added the packages
to my aptitude install (various xorg packages) command line and proceeded to
upgrade my X11 stuff to xorg version.

Once I did my upgrade to xorg, I then did an install of kde 3.4.2 using
command line of aptitude.  I did aptitude install -t unstable kde and it
pulled in all the necessary kde packages.  In some cases packages that hadn't
made the transition to the new c++ abi would be removed such as koffice.  Not
a big deal to me at the moment, since I had discovered that openoffice.org2
was available in unstable and experimental.  BTW, openoffice.org2 has a nice
kde integration.

To install openoffice.org2 with nice kde integration, I did
	aptitude install openoffice.org2-kde
and it pulled in all the relevant packages including java stuff needed to
work.  I have found that openoffice.org2 starts up much faster than version
1.  If you have version 1 installed, version 2 will remove it -- so beware.

John